Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 5th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
- 11 Acquire and use grade-level vocabulary, clarifying the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases in text, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
- 12 Interpret the meaning of words, phrases, and patterns as they are used in texts, including domain-specific and academic vocabulary and figurative language.
- 12.a Locate similes, metaphors, personification, hyperbole, imagery, alliteration, onomatopoeia, and idioms and interpret their meanings in context.
- 12.b Explain the meanings of common idioms, adages, and proverbs.
- 12.c Use the relationships between synonyms, antonyms, and homographs to increase understanding of word meanings.
- 12.d Explain how an author’s vocabulary and style influence the tone and mood of a text and support his/her purpose for writing.
- 12.e Use common, grade-appropriate Greek and Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meanings of words.
- 13 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases.
- 14 Write using grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases accurately, including those that signal contrasting ideas, additional information, and other logical relationships.
- 15 Use grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases during presentations and discussion.