Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 2nd Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RI Reading Standards for Informational Text
- Key Ideas and Details
- RI.2.1 Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of informational texts using key details from the text.
- RI.2.2 Identify the main topic of a multiparagraph text as well as the focus of specific paragraphs within the text.
- RI.2.3 Describe the connection between a series of historical events, scientific ideas or concepts, or steps in technical procedures in a text.
- Craft and Structure
- RI.2.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 2 topic or subject area.
- RI.2.5 Know and use various text features (e.g., captions, bold print, headings, charts, bulleted or numbered lists, electronic menus, icons) to locate key facts or information in a text efficiently.
- RI.2.6 Identify the main purpose of a text, including what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RI.2.7 Explain how specific images (e.g., a diagram showing how a machine works) contribute to and clarify a text.
- RI.2.8 Describe how reasons given support specific opinions the author states in a text.
- RI.2.9 Compare and contrast the most important points presented by two texts or related topics (e.g., a book about polar bears and a book about black bears).
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
- RI.2.10 By the end of the year, read and comprehend a range of informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts within a complexity band appropriate to grade 2 (from upper grade 1 to grade 3), with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.