Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 3rd Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RI Reading Standards for Informational Text
- Key Ideas and Details
- RI.3.1 Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, (e.g., explaining what the texts says explicitly, making basic inferences and predictions), referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.
- RI.3.2 Determine the main idea of a text and locate details that support the main idea; paraphrase or summarize main ideas or events in a multi-paragraph text, including correct sequence and details that support the main idea.
- RI.3.3 Describe the relationship or connection among a series of historical events, scientific ideas or concepts, or steps in technical procedures in a text, using language that pertains to time, sequence, and cause/effect.
- Craft and Structure
- RI.3.4 Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 3 topic or subject area.
- RI.3.5 Use text features and search tools (e.g., table of contents, index, key words, sidebars, hyperlinks) to locate information relevant to a given topic efficiently.
- RI.3.6 Determine author’s purpose; distinguish own point of view from that of the author of a text.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RI.3.7 Use information gained from illustrations (e.g., maps, photographs), and the words in a text to demonstrate understanding of the text (e.g., where, when, why, and how key events occur).
- RI.3.8 Describe the logical connection between particular sentences and paragraphs in a text (e.g., comparison, cause/effect, first/second/third in a sequence).
- RI.3.9 Compare and contrast the most important points and key details presented in two texts on the same topic or related topics.
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
- RI.3.10 By the end of the year, read and comprehend a range of informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts within a complexity band appropriate to grade 3 (from upper grade 2 to grade 4), with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.