Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 5th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RL Reading Standards for Literature
- Key Ideas and Details
- RL.5.1 Locate explicit information in the text to support inferences drawn from the text. Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- RL.5.2 Determine a theme or author’s message or purpose of a story, drama, or poem using details and evidence from the text as support, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize main ideas or events, in correct sequence.
- RL.5.3 Compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, or events in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., how characters interact, how conflicts are resolved).
- Craft and Structure
- RL.5.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including use of figurative language and literary devices (e.g., imagery, metaphors, analogies, hyperbole).
- RL.5.5 Explain how a series of chapters, scenes, or stanzas fits together to provide the overall structure of a particular story, drama, or poem.
- RL.5.6 Describe how a narrator’s or speaker’s point of view (e.g., first person, third person) influences how events are described or how characters are developed and portrayed.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RL.5.7 Analyze how visual and multimedia elements contribute to the meaning, tone, or personal appeal of a text (e.g., graphic novel, multimedia presentation of fiction, folktale, myth, poem).
- RL.5.9 Compare and contrast stories in the same genre (e.g., mysteries and adventure stories) on their approaches to similar themes and plot development.
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
- RL.5.10 By the end of the year, read and comprehend a range of literature from a variety of cultures, within a complexity band appropriate to grade 5 (from upper grade 4 to grade 6), with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.