Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 8th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RL Reading Standards for Literature
- Key Ideas and Details
- RL.8.1 Cite the textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- RL.8.2 Determine a theme or central idea of a text and analyze its development over the course of the text, including its relationship to the characters, setting, and plot; restate and summarize main ideas or events, in correct sequence, after reading a text.
- RL.8.3 Analyze how particular lines of dialogue or incidents in a story or drama propel the action, reveal aspects of a character, or provoke a decision.
- Craft and Structure
- RL.8.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the impact of specific word choices on meaning and tone, including analogies or allusions to other texts.
- RL.8.5 Analyze the overall structure of a text: compare and contrast the structure of two or more texts and analyze how the differing structure of each text contributes to its meaning and style.
- RL.8.6 Analyze author’s purpose and how differences in the points of view of the characters and the audience or reader (e.g., created through the use of dramatic irony) create such effects as suspense or humor.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RL.8.7 Analyze the extent to which a filmed or live production of a story or drama stays faithful to or departs from the text or script, evaluating the choices made by the director or actors (e.g., Old Yeller, Brian’s Song, The Miracle Worker).
- RL.8.9 Analyze how a modern work of fiction draws on themes, patterns of events, or character types from myths, traditional stories, or religious works such as the Bible, including describing how the material is rendered new.
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
- RL.8.10 By the end of the year, read and comprehend a range of literature from a variety of cultures, within a complexity band appropriate to grade 8 (from upper grade 7 to grade 9), with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.