Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 2nd Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
2.RL Reading Standards for Literature
- Key Ideas and Details
- 2.RL.1 Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
- 2.RL.2 Recount stories, including fables and folktales from diverse cultures, and determine their central message, lesson, or moral.
- 2.RL.3 Describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges.
- Craft and Structure
- 2.RL.4 Describe how words and phrases supply rhythm (e.g., regular beats, alliteration, rhymes, repeated lines) and meaning in a story, poem, or song.
- 2.RL.5 Describe the overall structure of a story, including how the beginning introduces the story and the ending concludes the action.
- 2.RL.6 Acknowledge differences in the points of view of characters, including by speaking in a different voice for each character when reading dialogue aloud.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- 2.RL.7 Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
- 2.RL.9 Compare and contrast the characters and settings from two or more versions of the same story by different authors or from different cultures.
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
- 2.RL.10 By the end of the year, proficiently and independently read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poetry, in a text complexity range determined by qualitative and quantitative measures appropriate to grade 2.