Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 8th Grade Social Studies Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
4 Expansion and Reform 1801-1861
- 1 Students will analyze the period of expansion and reform in the United States.
- Era184.108.40.206 Analyze multiple factors that affected territorial expansion and influenced the perspectives of people (e.g., Manifest Destiny, mining, War of 1812, Louisiana Purchase)
- Era220.127.116.11 Analyze the development of regional tensions prior to the Civil War using a variety of primary and secondary sources (e.g., Industrial Revolution, expansion of slavery, immigration, westward movement)
- Era18.104.22.168 Examine economic, political, and geographic causes and effects of territorial expansion
- Era22.214.171.124 Analyze purposes, implementation, and effects of public policies (e.g., currency and banking, Indian Removal, disenfranchisement, economic growth, Manifest Destiny)
- Era126.96.36.199 Evaluate actual and proposed laws as a means of addressing the issue of slavery prior to the Civil War (e.g., Fugitive Slave Act, Kansas-Nebraska Act, Missouri Compromise, Compromise of 1850)
- Era188.8.131.52 Evaluate the historical significance of individuals, groups, and events
5 Civil War and Reconstruction 1850-1877
- 2 Students will analyze the American Civil War and Reconstruction and their effects on the social, economic, and political development of America.
- Era184.108.40.206 Develop historical arguments and explanations of causes of the Civil War using a variety of sources from multiple perspectives (e.g., federal government vs. state’s rights, sectionalism, cultural differences between the North and South, abolitionism)
- Era220.127.116.11 Explain ways economic decisions affected individuals, businesses, and society during the course of the Civil War and over time
- Era18.104.22.168 Analyze social and economic effects of the Civil War on America
- Era22.214.171.124 Analyze the historical significance of selected Civil War battles, events, and people
- Era126.96.36.199 Evaluate the legacy of the Civil War on the nation
- Era188.8.131.52 Evaluate successes and failures of Reconstruction (e.g., Reconstruction Plans, Freedman’s Bureau, Civil War Amendments, African- American economic positions, sharecropping, crop liens, public education, African- American role in government)
6 Development of the Industrial United States 1870- 1900
- 3 Students will analyze the development of the industrial United States and the economic and cultural transformation that led to modern America.
- Era184.108.40.206 Analyze economic, geographic, and technological growth associated with the Second Industrial Revolution and its impact on American society
- Era220.127.116.11 Examine the effects of immigration after 1870 (e.g., social patterns, national unity, cultural diversity, conflicts)
- Era18.104.22.168 Analyze the historical significance of individuals, groups, and events
- Era22.214.171.124 Examine government policies and laws that addressed the escalating labor conflicts and the rise of labor unions using primary and secondary sources
- Era126.96.36.199 Analyze responses to social, economic, and political issues prior to 1900 (e.g., successes and failures of Populism, economic depressions, civil service reform, Tammany Hall, business regulations)
- Era188.8.131.52 Evaluate federal Indian policy, westward expansion, and the resulting struggles from a variety of perspectives using multiple sources
- Era184.108.40.206 Explain the origins and development of American expansionism (e.g., acquisition of new territories, Spanish-American War, expansionist foreign policy, Filipino insurrection)