Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free Pre-Kindergarten ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
A Early learning experiences will support children to understand language (receptive language).
- Word Comprehension
- L.60.1 Understand an increasing variety and specificity of words for objects, actions and attributes encountered in both real and symbolic contexts
- L60.2 Determine the meanings of unknown words/concepts using the context of conversations, pictures or concrete objects
- Language Comprehension
- L.60.3 Understand increasingly complex sentences that include 3-4 concepts (e.g., “Plants are living things that will not survive without soil, sunlight and water.”)
B Early learning experiences will support children to use language (expressive language).
- L.60.4 Use an increasing variety and specificity of accepted words for objects, actions and attributes encountered in both real and symbolic contexts
- L.60.5 Use more complex words learned through books and personal experiences (e.g., label favorite shirt as chartreuse, or know that a paleontologist studies dinosaurs)
- Expression of Ideas, Feelings and Needs
- L.60.6 Use more complex words to describe the relationships between objects and ideas (e.g., position words such as “under” or “beside” and comparative words such as “bigger” or “longer”)
- Language Structure
- L.60.7 Use basic grammar rules including subject-verb agreement, tenses, regular and irregular past tense, irregular plurals
- L.60.8 Use an increasing variety and specificity of accepted words for objects, actions and attributes encountered in both real and symbolic contexts
C Early learning experiences will support children to use language for social interaction.
- Conventions of Conversation
- L.60.9 Initiate, maintain and end conversations by repeating what other person says and/or by asking questions
- Language for Interaction
- L.60.10 Use language to share ideas and gain information
D Early learning experiences will support children to gain book appreciation and knowledge.
- Interest and Engagement with Books
- L.60.11 Independently choose to “read” books and select a variety of texts including fiction and
- Understanding of Stories or Information (Stories or information may be shared through oral storytelling, sharing of pictures and/or books)
- L.60.12 With prompting and support, retell familiar stories, including story elements (e.g., setting, characters, events) and/or share key details from informational text
- L.60.13 Identify main components of a story or text (the major plot points of a story or the main topic of an informational text)
- L.60.14 Use connections between self and character, experience and emotions to increase comprehension
E Early learning experiences will support children to gain knowledge of print and its uses.
- Book Concepts
- L.60.15 Know how print is read (e.g., left to right, top to bottom, front to back or according to convention of home language)
- L.60.16 Know that books have titles, authors, illustrators or photographers
- L.60.17 Recognize words as a unit of print and that letters are grouped to form words
- Print Concepts
- L.60.18 Identify some familiar printed words out of context
- L.60.19 Begin to use awareness of letter sounds along with pictures to read words in text
- Letter Recognition
- L.60.20 Recognize and name known letters of the alphabet in familiar and unfamiliar words
- L.60.21 Make some letter-sound connections
F Early learning experiences will support children to develop phonological awareness.
- Phonological Awareness
- L.60.22 Produce rhyming words or words that have same initial sound
- L.60.23 Recognize which words in a set of words begin with the same sound
- L.60.24 Distinguish syllables in words
G Early learning experiences will support children to convey meaning through drawing, letters and words.
- Drawing and Writing
- L.60.25 Draw original stories with a beginning, middle and end
- L.60.26 Use early developmental spelling. May use one letter for the initial or final sound to represent whole word