Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 2nd Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RN Reading: Nonfiction
- Learning Outcome
- 2.RN.1 Read and comprehend a variety of nonfiction within a range of complexity appropriate for grades 2-3. By the end of grade 2, students interact with texts proficiently and independently at the low end of the range and with scaffolding as needed at the high end.
- Key Ideas and Textual Support
- 2.RN.2.1 Ask and answer questions about the main idea and supporting facts and details in a text to confirm understanding.
- 2.RN.2.2 Identify the main idea of a multiparagraph text and the topic of each paragraph.
- 2.RN.2.3 Describe the connection between a series of historical events, scientific ideas or concepts, and steps in a process or procedure in a text.
- Structural Elements and Organization
- 2.RN.3.1 Use various text features (e.g., table of contents, index, headings, captions) to locate key facts or information and explain how they contribute to and clarify a text.
- 2.RN.3.2 Identify how a nonfiction text can be structured to compare and contrast, to describe a procedure, and to explain a cause and effect relationship.
- 2.RN.3.3 Identify what the author wants the reader to answer, explain, or describe in the text.
- Synthesis and Connection of Ideas
- 2.RN.4.1 Describe how an author uses facts to support specific points in a text.
- 2.RN.4.2 Compare and contrast the most important points presented by two texts on the same topic.