Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 3rd Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RV Reading: Vocabulary
- Learning Outcome
- 3.RV.1 Build and use accurately conversational, general academic, and content-specific words and phrases.
- Vocabulary Building
- 3.RV.2.1 Apply context clues (e.g., word, phrase, and sentence clues) and text features (e.g., maps, illustrations, charts) to determine the meanings of unknown words.
- 3.RV.2.2 Identify relationships among words, including synonyms, antonyms, homographs, homonyms, and multiple-meaning words (e.g., puzzle, fire).
- 3.RV.2.4 Use a known word as a clue to the meaning of an unknown word with the same root, and identify when an affix is added to a known root word.
- 3.RV.2.5 Consult reference materials, both print and digital (e.g., dictionary), to determine or clarify the meanings of words and phrases.
- Vocabulary in Literature and Nonfiction Texts
- 3.RV.3.1 Determine how the author uses words and phrases to provide meaning to works of literature, distinguishing literal from nonliteral language, including figurative language (e.g., similes).
- 3.RV.3.2 Determine the meanings of general academic and content-specific words and phrases in a nonfiction text relevant to a third grade topic or subject area.
- 3.RV.3.3 Recognize and understand the meanings of idioms in context.