Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 4th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RV Reading: Vocabulary
- Learning Outcome
- 4.RV.1 Build and use accurately general academic and content-specific words and phrases.
- Vocabulary Building
- 4.RV.2.1 Apply context clues (e.g., word, phrase, sentence, and paragraph clues) and text features (e.g., charts, headings/subheadings, font/format) to determine the meanings of unknown words.
- 4.RV.2.2 Identify relationships among words, including more complex homographs, homonyms, synonyms, antonyms, and multiple meanings.
- 4.RV.2.4 Apply knowledge of word structure elements (e.g., suffixes, prefixes, common Greek and Latin affixes and roots), known words, and word patterns to determine meaning.
- 4.RV.2.5 Consult reference materials, both print and digital (e.g., dictionary), to find the pronunciation and clarify the precise meanings of words and phrases.
- Vocabulary in Literature and Nonfiction Texts
- 4.RV.3.1 Determine how words and phrases provide meaning to works of literature, including figurative language (e.g., similes, metaphors, or hyperbole).
- 4.RV.3.2 Determine the meanings of general academic and content-specific words and phrases in a nonfiction text relevant to a fourth grade topic or subject area.
- 4.RV.3.3 Explain the meanings of proverbs, adages, and idioms in context.