Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 5th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RV Reading: Vocabulary
- Learning Outcome
- 5.RV.1 Build and use accurately general academic and content-specific words and phrases.
- Vocabulary Building
- 5.RV.2.1 Select and apply context clues (e.g., word, phrase, sentence, and paragraph clues) and text features to determine the meanings of unknown words.
- 5.RV.2.2 Identify relationships among words, including multiple meanings, synonyms and antonyms, homographs, metaphors, similes, and analogies.
- 5.RV.2.4 Apply knowledge of word structure elements, known words, and word patterns to determine meaning (e.g., word origins, common Greek and Latin affixes and roots, parts of speech).
- 5.RV.2.5 Consult reference materials, both print and digital (e.g., dictionary, thesaurus), to find the pronunciation and clarify the precise meanings of words and phrases.
- Vocabulary in Literature and Nonfiction Texts
- 5.RV.3.1 Determine how words and phrases provide meaning to works of literature, including imagery, symbolism, and figurative language (e.g., similes, metaphors, hyperbole, or allusion).
- 5.RV.3.2 Determine the meaning of general academic and content-specific words and phrases in a nonfiction text relevant to a fifth grade topic or text.
- 5.RV.3.3 Analyze the meanings of proverbs, adages, and idioms in context.