Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 6th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RL Reading: Literature
- Learning Outcome
- 6.RL.1 Read a variety of literature within a range of complexity appropriate for grades 6-8. By the end of grade 6, students interact with texts proficiently and independently at the low end of the range and with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.
- Key Ideas and Textual Support
- 6.RL.2.1 Analyze what a text says explicitly as well as draw inferences from the text through citing textual evidence.
- 6.RL.2.2 Determine how a theme or central idea of a work of literature is conveyed through particular details; provide a detailed, objective summary of the text.
- 6.RL.2.3 Explain how a plot unfolds in a series of episodes as well as how the characters respond or change as the narrative advances and moves toward a resolution.
- Structural Elements and Organization
- 6.RL.3.1 Analyze how a particular sentence, chapter, scene, or stanza fits into the overall structure of a work of literature and contributes to the development of the theme, characterization, setting, or plot.
- 6.RL.3.2 Explain how an author develops the point of view of the narrator or speaker in a work of literature and how the narrator or speaker impacts the mood, tone, and meaning of a text.
- Synthesis and Connection of Ideas
- 6.RL.4.1 Compare and contrast the experience of reading a story, play, or poem with listening to or viewing an audio, video, or live version of the text, including contrasting what they “see” and “hear” when reading the text with what they perceive when they listen or watch.
- 6.RL.4.2 Compare and contrast works of literature in different forms or genres (e.g., stories and poems; historical novels and fantasy stories) in terms of their approaches to similar themes and topics.