Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 6th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RN Reading: Nonfiction
- Learning Outcome
- 6.RN.1 Read a variety of nonfiction within a range of complexity appropriate for grades 6-8. By the end of grade 6, students interact with texts proficiently and independently at the low end of the range and with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.
- Key Ideas and Textual Support
- 6.RN.2.1 Analyze what a text says explicitly as well as draw inferences from the text through citing textual evidence
- 6.RN.2.2 Determine how a central idea of a text is conveyed through particular details; provide an objective summary of the text.
- 6.RN.2.3 Analyze in detail how a key individual, event, or idea is introduced, illustrated, and elaborated in a text (e.g., through examples or anecdotes).
- Structural Elements and Organization
- 6.RN.3.2 Analyze how a particular sentence, paragraph, chapter, or section fits into the overall structure of a text and contributes to the development of the ideas.
- 6.RN.3.3 Determine an author’s perspective or purpose in a text, and explain how it is conveyed in the text.
- Synthesis and Connection of Ideas
- 6.RN.4.1 Trace and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, distinguishing claims that the author supports with reasons and evidence from claims that are not supported.
- 6.RN.4.2 Integrate information presented in different media or formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively, verbally) to demonstrate a coherent understanding of a topic or issue.
- 6.RN.4.3 Compare and contrast one author’s presentation of events with that of another.