Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 8th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RL Reading: Literature
- Learning Outcome
- 8.RL.1 Read a variety of literature within a range of complexity appropriate for grades 6-8. By the end of grade 8, students interact with texts proficiently and independently.
- Key Ideas and Textual Support
- 8.RL.2.1 Analyze what a text says explicitly as well as draw inferences from the text through strong and supportive textual evidence.
- 8.RL.2.2 Analyze the development of a theme or central idea over the course of a work of literature, including its relationship to the characters, setting, and plot; provide a detailed summary that supports the analysis.
- 8.RL.2.3 Analyze how particular lines of dialogue or incidents in a work of literature propel the action, reveal aspects of a character, or provoke a decision.
- Structural Elements and Organization
- 8.RL.3.1 Compare and contrast the structure of two or more related works of literature (e.g., similar topic or theme), and analyze and evaluate how the differing structure of each text contributes to its meaning and style.
- 8.RL.3.2 Analyze a particular point of view or cultural experience in a work of world literature considering how it reflects heritage, traditions, attitudes, and beliefs.
- Synthesis and Connection of Ideas
- 8.RL.4.1 Analyze the extent to which a filmed or live production of a story or play stays faithful to or departs from the text or script, evaluating the choices made by the director or actors.
- 8.RL.4.2 Analyze how works of literature draw on and transform earlier texts.