Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 8th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RV Reading: Vocabulary
- Learning Outcome
- 8.RV.1 Acquire and use accurately grade-appropriate general academic and content-specific words and phrases; gather vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.
- Vocabulary Building
- 8.RV.2.1 Use context to determine or clarify the meaning of words and phrases.
- 8.RV.2.3 Distinguish among the connotations of words with similar denotations.
- 8.RV.2.4 Use common, grade-appropriate Greek or Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word (e.g., precede, recede, secede).
- 8.RV.2.5 Select appropriate general and specialized reference materials, both print and digital, to find the pronunciation of a word or determine or clarify its precise meaning, part of speech, or origin.
- Vocabulary in Literature and Nonfiction Texts
- 8.RV.3.1 Analyze the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in works of literature, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the impact of specific word choices on meaning and tone, including analogies or allusions to other texts.
- 8.RV.3.2 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a nonfiction text, including figurative, connotative, and technical meanings; analyze the impact of specific word choices on meaning and tone, including analogies or allusions to other texts.
- 8.RV.3.3 Interpret figures of speech (e.g. verbal irony, puns) in context.