Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 9th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RV Reading: Vocabulary
- Learning Outcome
- 9-10.RV.1 Acquire and accurately use academic and content-specific words and phrases at the college and career readiness level; demonstrate independence in gathering vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.
- Vocabulary Building
- 9-10.RV.2.1 Use context to determine or clarify the meaning of words and phrases.
- 9-10.RV.2.3 Analyze nuances in the meaning of words with similar denotations.
- 9-10.RV.2.4 Identify and correctly use patterns of word changes that indicate different meanings or parts of speech (e.g., analyze, analysis, analytical; advocate, advocacy).
- 9-10.RV.2.5 Select appropriate general and specialized reference materials to find the pronunciation of a word or determine or clarify its precise meaning, part of speech,or etymology.
- Vocabulary in Literature and Nonfiction Texts
- 9-10.RV.3.1 Analyze the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in works of literature, including figurative connotative and denotative meanings; analyze the impact of specific word choices on meaning and tone, including words with multiple meanings.
- 9-10.RV.3.2 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a nonfiction text, including figurative, connotative, denotative, and technical meanings; evaluate the effectiveness of specific word choices on meaning and tone in multiple and varied contexts.
- 9-10.RV.3.3 Interpret figures of speech in context and analyze their role in the text.