Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 2nd Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RI Reading: Informational
- Key Ideas and Details
- RI.2.1 Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
- RI.2.2 Identify the main topic of a multi-paragraph text as well as the focus of specific paragraphs within the text.
- RI.2.3 Describe the connection between a series of historical events, scientific ideas or concepts, or steps in technical procedures in a text.
- Craft and Structure
- RI.2.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text relevant to a Grade 2 topic or subject area.
- RI.2.5 Know and use various text features (e.g., captions, bold print, subheadings, glossaries, indexes, electronic menus, icons) to locate key facts or information in a text efficiently.
- RI.2.6 Identify the main purpose of a text, including what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RI.2.7 Explain how specific images (e.g., a diagram showing how a machine works) contribute to and clarify a text.
- RI.2.8 Describe how reasons support specific points the author makes in a text.
- RI.2.9 Compare and contrast the most important points presented by two texts on the same topic.
- Language in Reading: Informational
- RI.2.10 Use knowledge of language and its conventions to compare formal and informal uses of English.
- RI.2.11 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on Grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a variety of strategies.
- RI.2.11.a Use sentence-level context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- RI.2.11.b Determine the meaning of the new word formed when a known prefix is added to a known word (e.g., happy/unhappy).
- RI.2.11.c Use a known root word as a clue to the meaning of an unknown word with the same root.
- RI.2.11.d Use knowledge of the meaning of individual words to predict the meaning of compound words (e.g., birdhouse).
- RI.2.11.e Use glossaries and beginning dictionaries, both print and digital, to determine or clarify the meaning of words and phrases.
- RI.2.12 Demonstrate understanding of word relationships and nuances in word meanings.
- RI.2.12.a Identify real-life connections between words and their use.
- RI.2.12.b Distinguish shades of meaning among closely-related verbs and closely-related adjectives.
- Range of Reading and Level of Text
- RI.2.13 Read and comprehend high quality informational text of appropriate quantitative and qualitative complexity for Grade 2.