Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 2nd Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RL Reading: Literature
- Key Ideas and Details
- RL.2.1 Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
- RL.2.2 Recount stories, including fables and folktales from diverse cultures, and determine their central message, lesson, or moral.
- RL.2.3 Describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges.
- Craft and Structure
- RL.2.4 Describe how words and phrases (e.g., regular beats, alliteration, rhymes, repeated lines) supply rhythm and meaning in a story, poem, or song.
- RL.2.5 Describe the overall structure of a story, including describing how the beginning introduces the story and the ending concludes the action.
- RL.2.6 Acknowledge differences in the points of view of characters, including by speaking in a different voice for each character when reading dialogue aloud.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RL.2.7 Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
- RL.2.9 Compare and contrast two or more versions of the same story by different authors or from different cultures.
- Language in Reading: Literature
- RL.2.10 Use knowledge of language and its conventions to compare formal and informal uses of English.
- RL.2.11 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on Grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a variety of strategies.
- RL.2.11.a Use sentence-level context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- RL.2.11.b Determine the meaning of the new word formed when a known prefix is added to a known word (e.g., happy/unhappy).
- RL.2.11.c Use a known root word as a clue to the meaning of an unknown word with the same root.
- RL.2.11.d Use knowledge of the meaning of individual words to predict the meaning of compound words (e.g., birdhouse).
- RL.2.11.e Use glossaries and beginning dictionaries, both print and digital, to determine or clarify the meaning of words and phrases.
- RL.2.12 Demonstrate understanding of word relationships and nuances in word meanings.
- RL.2.12.a Identify real-life connections between words and their use.
- RL.2.12.b Distinguish shades of meaning among closely-related verbs and closely-related adjectives.
- Range of Reading and Level of Text
- RL.2.13 Read and comprehend high quality literary text of appropriate quantitative and qualitative complexity for Grade 2.