Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 3rd Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RI Reading: Informational
- Key Ideas and Details
- RI.3.1 Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.
- RI.3.2 Determine the main idea of a text; recount the key details and explain how they support the main idea.
- RI.3.3 Describe the relationship between a series of historical events, scientific ideas or concepts, or steps in technical procedures in a text, using language that pertains to time, sequence, and cause/effect.
- Craft and Structure
- RI.3.4 Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 3 topic or subject area.
- RI.3.5 Use text features and search tools (e.g., key words, sidebars, hyperlinks) to locate information relevant to a given topic efficiently.
- RI.3.6 Distinguish their own point of view from that of the author of a text.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RI.3.7 Use information gained from illustrations (e.g., maps, photographs) and the words in a text to demonstrate understanding of the text (e.g., where, when, why, and how key events occur).
- RI.3.8 Describe the logical connection between particular sentences and paragraphs in a text (e.g., comparison, cause/effect, first/second/third in a sequence).
- RI.3.9 Compare and contrast the most important points and key details presented in two texts on the same topic.
- Language in Reading: Informational
- RI.3.10 Use knowledge of language and its conventions when reading to recognize and observe differences between the conventions of spoken and written standard English.
- RI.3.11 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on Grade 3 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
- RI.3.11.a Use sentence-level context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- RI.3.11.b Determine the meaning of the new word formed when a known affix is added to a known word.
- RI.3.11.c Use a known root word as a clue to the meaning of an unknown word with the same root (e.g., company, companion).
- RI.3.11.d Use glossaries or beginning dictionaries, both print and digital, to determine or clarify the precise meaning of key words and phrases.
- RI.3.12 Demonstrate understanding of word relationships and nuances in word meanings.
- RI.3.12.a Distinguish the literal and figurative meanings of words and phrases in context.
- RI.3.12.b Identify real-life connections between words and their uses.
- RI.3.12.c Distinguish shades of meaning among related words that describe states of mind or degrees of certainty.
- Range of Reading and Level of Text
- RI.3.13 Read and comprehend high quality informational text of appropriate quantitative and qualitative complexity for Grade 3.