Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 4th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RI Reading: Informational
- Key Ideas and Details
- RI.4.1 Refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- RI.4.2 Determine the main idea of a text and explain how it is supported by key details; summarize the text.
- RI.4.3 Explain events, procedures, ideas, or concepts in a historical, scientific, or technical text, including what happened and why, based on specific information in the text.
- Craft and Structure
- RI.4.4 Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words or phrases in a text relevant to a grade 4 topic or subject area.
- RI.4.5 Describe the overall structure (e.g., chronology, comparison, cause/effect, problem/solution) of events, ideas, concepts, or information in a text or part of a text.
- RI.4.6 Compare and contrast a firsthand and secondhand account of the same event or topic; describe the differences in focus and the information provided.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RI.4.7 Interpret information presented visually, orally, or quantitatively (e.g., in charts, graphs, diagrams, time lines, animations, or interactive elements on Web pages) and explain how the information contributes to an understanding of the text in which it appears.
- RI.4.8 Explain how an author uses reasons and evidence to support particular points in a text.
- RI.4.9 Integrate information from two texts on the same topic in order to write or speak about the subject knowledgeably.
- Language in Reading: Informational
- RI.4.10 Use knowledge of language and its conventions when reading to differentiate between contexts that call for formal English and situations where informal discourse is appropriate.
- RI.4.11 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on Grade 4 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
- RI.4.11.a Use context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- RI.4.11.b Use common, grade-appropriate Greek and Latin affixes found in Grade 4 informational texts as clues to the meaning of a word.
- RI.4.11.c Consult reference materials, both print and digital, to find the pronunciation and determine or clarify the precise meaning of key words and phrases.
- RI.4.12 Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
- RI.4.12.a Explain the meaning of simple similes and metaphors in context.
- RI.4.12.b Recognize and explain the meaning of common idioms, adages, and proverbs in context.
- RI.4.12.c Demonstrate understanding of words by relating them to their opposites (antonyms) and to words with similar but not identical meanings (synonyms).
- Range of Reading and Level of Text
- RI.4.13 Read and comprehend high quality and engaging informational text of appropriate quantitative and qualitative complexity for Grade 4.