Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 5th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RL Reading: Literature
- Key Ideas and Details
- RL.5.1 Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- RL.5.2 Determine the theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text.
- RL.5.3 Compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, or events in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., how characters interact).
- Craft and Structure
- RL.5.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative language such as metaphors and similes.
- RL.5.5 Explain how a series of chapters, scenes, or stanzas fits together to provide the overall structure of a particular story, drama, or poem.
- RL.5.6 Describe how a narrator’s or speaker’s point of view influences how events are described.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RL.5.7 Analyze how visual and multimedia elements contribute to the meaning, tone, or beauty of a text (e.g., graphic novel, multimedia presentation of fiction, folktale, myth, poem).
- RL.5.9 Compare and contrast stories in the same genre (e.g., mysteries and adventure stories) on their approaches to similar themes and topics.
- Language in Reading: Literature
- RL.5.10 Use knowledge of language and its conventions when reading to compare and contrast the varieties of English (e.g., dialects, registers) used in stories, dramas, or poems.
- RL.5.11 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on Grade 5 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
- RL.5.11.a Use context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- RL.5.11.b Use common, grade-appropriate Greek and Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word.
- RL.5.11.c Consult reference materials, both print and digital, to find the pronunciation and determine or clarify the precise meaning of key words and phrases.
- RL.5.12 Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
- RL.5.12.a Interpret figurative language, including similes and metaphors, in context.
- RL.5.12.b Recognize and explain the meaning of common idioms, adages, and proverbs.
- RL.5.12.c Use the relationships between particular words (e.g., synonyms) to better understand each of the words.
- Range of Reading and Level of Text
- RL.5.13 Read and comprehend high quality dramas, prose and poetry of appropriate quantitative and qualitative complexity for Grade 5.