Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 6th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RI Reading: Informational
- Key Ideas and Details
- RI.6.1 Cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- RI.6.2 Determine a central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details; provide a summary of the text distinct from personal opinions or judgments.
- RI.6.3 Analyze in detail how a key individual, event, or idea is introduced, illustrated, and elaborated in a text (e.g., through examples or anecdotes).
- Craft and Structure
- RI.6.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative, connotative, and technical meanings.
- RI.6.5 Analyze how a particular sentence, paragraph, chapter, or section fits into the overall structure of a text and contributes to the development of the ideas.
- RI.6.6 Determine an author’s point of view or purpose in a text and explain how it is conveyed in the text.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RI.6.7 Integrate information presented in different media or formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively) as well as in words to develop a coherent understanding of a topic or issue.
- RI.6.8 Trace and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, distinguishing claims that are supported by reasons and evidence from claims that are not.
- RI.6.9 Compare and contrast one author’s presentation of events with that of another (e.g., a memoir written by and a biography on the same person).
- Language in Reading: Informational
- RI.6.10 Use knowledge of language and its conventions when reading to improve comprehension.
- RI.6.11 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on Grade 6 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
- RI.6.11.a Use context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- RI.6.11.b Use common, grade-appropriate Greek or Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word.
- RI.6.11.c Consult reference materials both print and digital, to find the pronunciation of a word or determine or clarify its precise meaning or its part of speech.
- RI.6.11.d Verify the preliminary determination of the meaning of a word or phrase (e.g., by checking the inferred meaning in context or in a dictionary).
- RI.6.12 Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
- RI.6.12.a Interpret figures of speech in context.
- RI.6.12.b Use the relationship between particular words (e.g., cause/effect, part/whole, item/category) to better understand each of the words.
- RI.6.12.c Distinguish among the connotations (associations) of words with similar denotations (definitions).
- Range of Reading and Level of Text
- RI.6.13 Read and comprehend high quality and engaging informational text of appropriate quantitative and qualitative complexity for Grade 6.