Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 7th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RI Reading: Informational
- Key Ideas and Details
- RI.7.1 Cite several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- RI.7.2 Determine two or more central ideas in a text and analyze their development over the course of the text; provide an objective summary of the text.
- RI.7.3 Analyze the interactions between individuals, events, and ideas in a text (e.g., how ideas influence individuals or events, or how individuals influence ideas or events).
- Craft and Structure
- RI.7.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative, connotative, and technical meanings; analyze the impact of a specific word choice on meaning and tone.
- RI.7.5 Analyze the structure an author uses to organize a text, including how the major sections contribute to the whole and to the development of the ideas.
- RI.7.6 Determine an author’s point of view or purpose in a text and analyze how the author distinguishes his or her position from that of others.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RI.7.7 Compare and contrast a text to an audio, video, or multimedia version of the text, analyzing each medium’s portrayal of the subject (e.g., how the delivery of a speech affects the impact of the words).
- RI.7.8 Trace and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, assessing whether the reasoning is sound and the evidence is relevant and sufficient to support the claims.
- RI.7.9 Analyze how two or more authors writing about the same topic shape their presentations of key information by emphasizing different evidence or advancing different interpretations of facts.
- Language in Reading: Informational
- RI.7.10 Use knowledge of language and its conventions when reading to aid comprehension of informational texts.
- RI.7.11 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on Grade 7 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
- RI.7.11.a Use context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- RI.7.11.b Use common, grade-appropriate Greek or Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word.
- RI.7.11.c Consult general and specialized reference materials, both print and digital, to find the pronunciation of a word or determine or clarify its precise meaning or its part of speech.
- RI.7.11.d Verify the preliminary determination of the meaning of a word or phrase.
- RI.7.12 Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
- RI.7.12.a Interpret figures of speech in context.
- RI.7.12.b Use the relationship between particular words to better understand each of the words.
- RI.7.12.c Distinguish among the connotations (associations) of words with similar denotations (definitions).
- Range of Reading and Level of Text
- RI.7.13 Read and comprehend high quality informational text of appropriate quantitative and qualitative complexity for Grade 7.