Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 8th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RI Reading: Informational
- Key Ideas and Details
- RI.8.1 Cite the textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- RI.8.2 Determine a central idea of a text and analyze its development over the course of the text, including its relationship to supporting ideas; provide an objective summary of the text.
- RI.8.3 Analyze how a text makes connections among and distinctions between individuals, ideas, or events (e.g., through comparisons, analogies, or categories).
- Craft and Structure
- RI.8.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative, connotative, and technical meanings; analyze the impact of specific word choices on meaning and tone, including analogies or allusions to other texts.
- RI.8.5 Analyze in detail the structure of a specific paragraph in a text, including the role of particular sentences in developing and refining a key concept.
- RI.8.6 Determine an author’s point of view or purpose in a text and analyze how the author acknowledges and responds to conflicting evidence or viewpoints.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RI.8.7 Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of using different mediums (e.g., print or digital text, video, multimedia) to present a particular topic or idea.
- RI.8.8 Delineate and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, assessing whether the reasoning is sound and the evidence is relevant and sufficient; recognize when irrelevant evidence is introduced.
- RI.8.9 Analyze a case in which two or more texts provide conflicting information on the same topic and identify where the texts disagree on matters of fact or interpretation.
- Language in Reading: Informational
- RI.8.10 Use knowledge of language and its conventions when reading to aid comprehension of informational texts.
- RI.8.11 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words or phrases based on Grade 8 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
- RI.8.11.a Use context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- RI.8.11.b Use common, grade-appropriate Greek or Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word (e.g., precede, recede, secede).
- RI.8.11.c Consult general and specialized reference materials, both print and digital, to find the pronunciation of a word or determine or clarify its precise meaning or its part of speech.
- RI.8.11.d Verify the preliminary determination of the meaning of a word or phrase.
- RI.8.12 Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
- RI.8.12.a Interpret figures of speech in context.
- RI.8.12.b Use the relationship between particular words to better understand each of the words.
- RI.8.12.c Distinguish among the connotations (associations) of words with similar denotations (definitions).
- Range of Reading and Level of Text
- RI.8.13 Read and comprehend high quality and engaging informational text of appropriate quantitative and qualitative complexity for Grade 8.