Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 5th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RL Reading Literature
- Key Ideas and Details
- RL.1 Quote or paraphrase a text accurately when explaining what the text states explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- RL.2 Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize a text.
- RL.3 Compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, or events in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., how characters interact).
- Craft and Structure
- RL.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text; identify and explain the effects of figurative language such as metaphors and similes.
- RL.5 Explain how a series of chapters, scenes, or stanzas fits together to provide the overall structure of a particular story, drama, or poem.
- RL.6 Describe how a narrator’s or speaker’s point of view influences how events are described in a story, myth, poem, or drama.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RL.7 Analyze how visual and multimedia elements contribute to the meaning, tone, or beauty of a text (e.g., graphic novel; multimedia presentation of fiction, folktale, myth, poem).
- RL.9 Compare and contrast stories in the same genre (e.g., mysteries or adventure stories) on their approaches to similar themes and topics.
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
- RL.10 Independently and proficiently read and comprehend literary texts representing a variety of genres, cultures, and perspectives and exhibiting complexity appropriate for at least grade 5.