Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 8th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RL Reading Literature
- Key Ideas and Details
- RL.1 Cite the textual evidence that most strongly supports analysis of what a text states explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text, quoting or paraphrasing as appropriate.
- RL.2 Determine a theme or central idea of a text and analyze its development over the course of the text, including its relationship to the characters, setting, and plot; provide an objective summary of a text.
- RL.3 Analyze how particular lines of dialogue or incidents in a story, poem, or drama propel the action, reveal aspects of a character, or provoke a decision.
- Craft and Structure
- RL.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the impact of specific word choices on meaning, tone, or mood, including the impact of allusion and irony.
- RL.5 Compare and contrast the structures of two or more texts, analyzing how structure contributes to meaning and style in each text.
- RL.6 Analyze how differences in point of view between characters and audience (e.g., created through the use of dramatic irony) create such effects as suspense or humor.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RL.7 Analyze the extent to which an audio, filmed, or staged production of a story, drama, or poem stays faithful to or departs from the original text or script, evaluating the choices made by the director or performer(s).
- RL.9 Analyze how a modern work of fiction draws on themes, patterns of events, or character types from myths, traditional stories, or religious works such as the Bible, including describing how the material is rendered new.
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
- RL.10 Independently and proficiently read and comprehend literary texts representing a variety of genres, cultures, and perspectives and exhibiting complexity appropriate for at least grade 8.