Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 8th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
8.RI Reading Informational Text
- 8.RI.1 Comprehend and Interpret Texts (Approaching Texts as a Reader)
- 8.RI.1.A Draw conclusions, infer and analyze by citing the textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- 8.RI.1.B Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in the text, including figurative, connotative, and content-specific meanings using context, affixes, or reference materials.
- 8.RI.1.C Interpret visual elements of a text including those from different media and draw conclusions from them (when applicable).
- 8.RI.1.D Explain the central/main idea(s) of a text and analyze its development over the course of a text; provide an objective summary of the text.
- 8.RI.2 Analyze Craft and Structure (Approaching Texts as a Writer)
- 8.RI.2.A Analyze how an author’s choice concerning a text’s organization or overall structure contributes to meaning.
- 8.RI.2.B Analyze how the author acknowledges and responds to conflicting evidence or points of view in a text.
- 8.RI.2.C Analyze how word choice and sentence structure contribute to meaning and tone.
- 8.RI.2.D Evaluate an author’s argument, assessing whether the reasoning is sound and the evidence is relevant and sufficient; recognize when irrelevant evidence is introduced.
- 8.RI.3 Synthesize Ideas from Multiple Texts (Approaching Texts as a Researcher)
- 8.RI.3.A Compare and contrast information presented in different mediums and analyze how the techniques unique to each medium contribute to meaning.
- 8.RI.3.B Analyze two or more texts that provide conflicting information on the same topic and identify where the texts disagree on matter of fact or interpretation.
- 8.RI.3.C Explain how the central ideas of text reflect historical and/or cultural contexts.
- 8.RI.3.D Read and comprehend informational text independently and proficiently