Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 8th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
LA.8.RI Reading Informational Text
- Central Ideas and Details: Citing relevant and thorough textual evidence to support ideas, evaluate the development of themes or central ideas in grade-level informational text.
- LA.8.RI.1 Determine two or more implied or explicit central ideas and how they develop over the course of an informational text, including their relationship to supporting ideas.
- LA.8.RI.2 Analyze how particular events, interactions between individuals, or key facts and details contribute to meaning.
- Author’s Craft: Citing relevant and thorough evidence to support ideas, evaluate the development and interaction of individuals, ideas, and events in grade-level informational text.
- LA.8.RI.3 Analyze how an author establishes, conveys, and contrasts perspective or purpose in a text and how the author acknowledges and responds to conflicting evidence or viewpoints.
- LA.8.RI.4 Compare and contrast the structure of a specific paragraph in an informational text, including the role of particular sentences in developing and refining a key concept.
- Knowledge and Ideas: Citing relevant and thorough textual evidence to support ideas, evaluate how an author’s perspective or use of point of view shapes the style and meaning of grade-level informational text.
- LA.8.RI.5 Analyze how two or more texts provide conflicting information on the same topic, including where the texts disagree on matters of evidence or interpretation.
- LA.8.RI.6 Analyze the development of an argument and evaluate the effectiveness of the type(s) of reasoning used to support the argument.
- LA.8.RI.7 Analyze regional, national, international, and/or multicultural perspectives to make connections among and distinctions between individuals or ideas within and across a range of informational texts.
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity: Read and comprehend complex, grade-level informational texts independently and proficiently.
- LA.8.RI.8 Read and comprehend a wide range of informational texts of appropriate complexity at the high end of the 6-8 grade band independently and proficiently.