Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 8th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
LA.8.RP Reading Prose and Poetry
- Central Ideas and Details: Citing relevant and thorough textual evidence to support ideas, evaluate the development of themes or central ideas in grade-level informational text.
- LA.8.RP.1 Determine two or more implied or explicit themes of a text and how they develop over the course of a literary text, including their relationship to supporting ideas.
- LA.8.RP.2 Analyze how particular events, lines of dialogue, or descriptive details develop the plot, reveal aspects of characters, or create meaning.
- Author’s Craft: Citing relevant and thorough evidence to support ideas, evaluate the development and interaction of individuals, ideas, and events in grade-level informational text.
- LA.8.RP.3 Analyze how an author establishes, conveys, and contrasts the points of view of the audience and the characters to create effects such as suspense, humor, or dramatic irony in a literary text.
- LA.8.RP.4 Compare and contrast the structure of two or more literary texts and how their structures contribute to style and meaning.
- Knowledge and Ideas: Citing relevant and thorough textual evidence to support ideas, evaluate how an author’s perspective or use of point of view shapes the style and meaning of grade-level informational text.
- LA.8.RP.5 Analyze how a modern work of fiction draws on themes, patterns of events, or character types from myths, traditional stories, or religious works.
- LA.8.RP.6 Synthesize the implied or stated theme(s) in a literary text to draw conclusions and deepen understanding of self and others.
- LA.8.RP.7 Analyze regional, national, international, and/or multicultural perspectives to make connections among and distinctions between characters or ideas within and across a range of literary texts.
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity: Read and comprehend complex, grade-level informational texts independently and proficiently.
- LA.8.RP.8 Read and comprehend a wide range of literary texts of appropriate complexity at the high end of the 6-8 grade band independently and proficiently.