Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 5th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RL Reading Literature Text
- Key Ideas and Details
- RL.5.1 Quote accurately from a text, and make relevant connections when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- RL.5.2 Determine the key details in a story, drama or poem to identify the theme and to summarize the text.
- RL.5.3 Compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, or events in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., how characters interact).
- Craft and Structure
- RL.5.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative language such as metaphors and similes.
- RL.5.5 Explain how a series of chapters, scenes, or stanzas fits together to provide the overall structure of a particular story, drama, or poem.
- RL.5.6 Describe how a narrator’s or speaker’s point of view influences how events are described.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RL.5.7 Analyze how visual and multimedia elements contribute to the meaning, tone, or beauty of a text (e.g., graphic novel, multimedia presentation of fiction, folktale, myth, poem).
- RL.5.9 Compare, contrast and reflect on (e.g. practical knowledge, historical/cultural context, and background knowledge) the treatment of similar themes and topics (e.g., opposition of good and evil) and patterns of events (e.g., the quest) in stories, myths, and traditional literature from different cultures.
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
- RL.5.10 By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poems at grade level text-complexity (See Appendix A) or above, with scaffolding as needed.