Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 8th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RI Informational Text
- Key Ideas and Evidence
- RI.8.1 Cite textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- RI.8.2 Determine a central idea of a text and analyze its development over the course of the text, including its relationship to supporting ideas; provide an objective summary of the text.
- RI.8.3 Analyze how a text makes connections among and distinctions between individuals, ideas, or events.
- Craft and Structure
- RI.8.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text; analyze the impact of specific word choices on meaning and tone, including analogies or allusions to other texts.
- RI.8.5 Analyze in detail the structure of a specific paragraph in a text, including the role of particular sentences in developing and refining a key concept.
- RI.8.6 Determine an author’s point of view or purpose in a text and analyze how the author acknowledges and responds to conflicting evidence or viewpoints.
- Integration of Ideas and Analysis
- RI.8.7 Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of using different mediums to present a particular topic or idea.
- RI.8.8 Delineate and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, assessing whether the reasoning is sound and the evidence is relevant and sufficient; recognize when irrelevant evidence is introduced.
- RI.8.9 Analyze a case in which two or more texts provide conflicting information on the same topic and identify where the texts disagree on matters of fact or interpretation.
- Range of Reading and Level of Complexity
- RI.8.10 By the end of grade 8, read and understand informational texts at the high end of the 6-8 text complexity band proficiently and independently for sustained periods of time. Connect prior knowledge and experiences to text.