Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 3rd Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RL.3 Reading: Literature
- Key Ideas and Details
- RL.3.1 Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.
- RL.3.2 Analyze literary text development.
- RL.3.2a Determine a theme and explain how it is conveyed through key details in the text.
- RL.3.2b Retell stories, including fables, folktales, and myths from diverse cultures.
- RL.3.3 Describe characters in a story (e.g., their traits, motivations, or feelings) and explain how their actions contribute to the sequence of events.
- Craft and Structure
- RL.3.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, distinguishing literal from nonliteral language.
- RL.3.5 Refer to parts of stories, dramas, and poems when writing or speaking about a text, using terms such as chapter, scene, and stanza; describe how each successive part builds on earlier sections.
- RL.3.6 Describe the difference between points of view in texts, particularly first- and third-person narration.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RL.3.7 Explain how specific aspects of a text’s illustrations contribute to what is conveyed by the words in a story (e.g., emphasize aspects of a character or setting).
- RL.3.9 Compare and contrast the themes, settings, and plots of stories written by the same author about the same or similar characters (e.g., in books from a series).
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
- RL.3.10 By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poetry, at the high end of the grades 2 – 3 text complexity band independently and proficiently. Activate prior knowledge and draw on previous experiences in order to make text-to-self or text-to-text connections and comparisons.