Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 8th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RL.8 Reading: Literature
- Key Ideas and Details
- RL.8.1 Cite the textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- RL.8.2 Analyze literary text development.
- RL.8.2a Determine a theme of a text and analyze its development over the course of the text, including its relationship to the characters, setting, and plot.
- RL.8.2b Incorporate a theme and its relationship to other story elements into an objective summary of the text.
- RL.8.3 Analyze how particular lines of dialogue or incidents in a story or drama propel the action, reveal aspects of a character, or provoke a decision.
- Craft and Structure
- RL.8.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the impact of specific word choices on meaning, mood, and tone, including analogies or allusions to other texts.
- RL.8.5 Compare and contrast the structure of two or more texts and analyze how the differing structure of each text contributes to its meaning and style.
- RL.8.6 Analyze how differences in the points of view and perspectives of the characters and the audience or reader (e.g., created through the use of dramatic irony) create effects such as suspense or humor.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RL.8.7 Analyze the extent to which a filmed or live production of a story or drama stays faithful to or departs from the text or script, evaluating the choices made by the director or actors.
- RL.8.9 Analyze how a modern work of fiction alludes to themes, patterns of events, or character types from myths, traditional stories, and religious literary texts, such as (but not limited to) the Bible and The Epic of Gilgamesh, including describing how the material is rendered new.
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
- RL.8.10 By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poems, at the high end of grades 6–8 text complexity band independently and proficiently. Build background knowledge and activate prior knowledge in order to make text-to-self, text-to-text, and text-to-world connections that deepen understanding of the text.