Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free Pre-Kindergarten ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
- Reading Comprehension
- Ask and answer questions, and comment about characters and major events in familiar stories.
- Retell or re-enact familiar stories.
- Identify characters and major events in a story.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the differences between fantasy and reality.
- With modeling and support, describe what part of the story the illustration depicts.
- With modeling and support, name the author and illustrator of a story and what part each person does for a book.
- With modeling and support, identify the topic of an informational text that has been read aloud.
- With modeling and support, describe, categorize and compare and contrast information in informational text.
- With modeling and support, discuss some similarities and differences between two texts on the same topic (e.g., illustrations, descriptions).
- Actively engage in group reading with purpose and understanding.
- With modeling and support use phrasing, intonation and expression in shared reading of familiar books, poems, chants, songs, nursery rhymes or other repetitious or predictable texts.
- Print Concepts
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic conventions of print in English and other languages.
- Orient books correctly for reading and turn pages one at a time.
- Demonstrate an understanding that print carries meaning.
- Phonological Awareness
- With modeling and support, recognize and produce rhyming words.
- With modeling and support recognize words in spoken sentences.
- With modeling and support identify, blend and segment syllables in spoken words.
- With modeling and support, orally blend and segment familiar compound words.
- With modeling and support, blend and segment onset and rime in single-syllable spoken words.
- With modeling and support identify initial and final sounds in spoken words.
- Letter and Word Recognition
- With modeling and support recognize and “read” familiar words or environmental print.
- With modeling and support, recognize and name some upper and lower case letters in addition to those in first name.
- With modeling and support, demonstrate understanding that alphabet letters are a special category of symbols that can be named and identified.
- With modeling and support, recognize the sounds associated with letters.