Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free Pre-Kindergarten ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
Print Awareness and Alphabet Knowledge
- Understanding that each spoken word can be written down
- Recognizing that letters carry meaning and are found in a variety of forms and settings
- Recognizing and naming alphabet characters
- Observable Behaviors
- Understands that words can be written down and read.
- Asks a person to read print such as: signs, lists, newspapers, messages, menus, and stories.
- Points to words using a left to right progression when “reading” picture books.
- Recognizes or “reads” several words.
- Associates sounds and written words (looks at books sees familiar letters and makes letter sounds and might even say letter name).
- Identifies most letters of the alphabet.
- Writes children’s stories, explanations, or labels on art and/ or projects.
- Uses environment to display the alphabet or labels of objects.
- Refers to individual letters in text.
- Assists child in recognizing letters in the alphabet.
- Encourages children’s interest and attempts to read, copy or write their own names.
- Multiple and varied literacy tools, books, crayons, markers, paper, computers, etc. in each area of play.
- Easily accessible writing center filled with a variety of materials, books, signs, stories, labels, alphabet materials and charts, pencils, markers, different sizes and colors of paper, envelopes, etc.