Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 2nd Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
- Text Types and Purposes
- W.2.1 Write opinion pieces that introduce the topic or book they are writing about, state an opinion, supply reasons that support the opinion, use linking words (e.g., because, and, also) to connect opinion and reasons, and provide a concluding statement or section. In math, instead of writing opinions, students write or draw solutions to math word problems and present arguments to explain their thinking.
- W.2.2 Write informative/explanatory texts that introduce a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement or section.
- W.2.3 Write narratives in prose or poem form that recount a well-elaborated event or experience, or a set of events or experiences; include details and dialogue to show actions, thoughts, and feelings; use temporal words to signal order where appropriate; and provide a sense of closure.
- Production and Distribution of Writing
- W.2.4 Produce writing in which the development and organization are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience. (Grade-specific expectations for writing types are defined in standards 1–3 above.)
- W.2.6 Demonstrate the ability to choose and use appropriate vocabulary (as described in Language Standards 4–6 up to and including grade 2).
- W.2.7 With guidance and support from adults, use a variety of digital tools to produce and publish writing, including in collaboration with peers.
- Research to Build and Present Knowledge
- W.2.8 Participate in shared research and writing projects (e.g., read a number of books on a single topic to produce a report; record science observations). For example, students read biographies of people.
- Range of Writing
- W.2.10 Write routinely for a range of tasks, purposes, and audiences.