Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 3rd Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
RL.3 Reading: Literature
- Key Ideas and Details
- RL.3.1 Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.
- RL.3.2 Retell stories, including fables, folktales, and myths from diverse cultures; determine the central message, lesson, or moral and explain how it is conveyed through key details in a text.
- RL.3.3 Describe characters in a story (e.g., their traits, motivations, or feelings) and explain how their actions contribute to the sequence of events.
- Craft and Structure
- RL.3.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, distinguishing literal from figurative language. (See grade 3 Language Standards 4–6 on applying knowledge of vocabulary to reading.)
- RL.3.5 Identify common structural elements of fiction (e.g., problem, solution); describe how each successive part of a text builds on earlier sections.
- RL.3.6 Distinguish their own point of view from that of a text’s narrator or those of its characters.
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RL.3.7 Explain how specific aspects of a text’s illustrations contribute to what is conveyed by the words in a story (e.g., create mood, emphasize aspects of a character or setting).
- RL.3.9 Compare and contrast the themes, settings, and plots of stories written by the same author about the same or similar characters (e.g., in books from a series).
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
- RL.3.10 Independently and proficiently read and comprehend literary texts representing a variety of genres, cultures, and perspectives and exhibiting complexity appropriate for at least grade 3. (See Appendix A & Appendix A New Research.)