Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free Pre-Kindergarten ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
L 1 Phonological Awareness
- L 1.a Children notice and discriminate the sounds of spoken language.
- Match beginning sounds of some words; are able to name several words that begin with the letter sound of their name
- Produce words (real or nonsense) that rhyme with other common words (e.g., “dance, prance, krance”)
- Identity whether or not two words begin with the same sound (i.e., when an adult gives three or four oral words, children can select those that begin with same sound, although they may not be able to identify the letter)
- Blend and delete compound words without the support of pictures or objects (e.g., “butterfly, butter crunch, butter sandwich, butter bear”)
- With modeling and support, identify, blend, and segment syllables in spoken words
- With modeling and support, delete the onsets of words (e.g., “pair-air, fruit-root”)
- With modeling and support, blend onsets and rimes in single-syllable words (e.g., the hard “c” sound with “-ook” to make “cook”)