Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 5th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
- W.5.7 The student will write in a variety of forms to include narrative, descriptive, expository, and persuasive.
- W.5.7.a Engage in writing as a process.
- W.5.7.b Select audience and purpose.
- W.5.7.c Use a variety of prewriting strategies.
- W.5.7.d Introduce and develop a topic, incorporating evidence and supporting details.
- W.5.7.e Organize information to convey a central idea.
- W.5.7.f Recognize different forms of writing have different patterns of organization including story structure for narrative writing.
- W.5.7.g Write a clear topic sentence focusing on the main idea.
- W.5.7.h Clearly state a position including supporting reasons and evidence to persuade the intended audience.
- W.5.7.i Write multiparagraph compositions.
- W.5.7.j Use precise and descriptive vocabulary to create tone and voice.
- W.5.7.k Vary sentence structure by using transition words and prepositional phrases.
- W.5.7.l Revise writing for clarity of content using specific vocabulary and information.
- W.5.8 The student will self- and peer-edit writing for capitalization, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, paragraphing, and Standard English.
- W.5.8.a Use plural possessives.
- W.5.8.b Use adjective and adverb comparisons.
- W.5.8.c Use interjections.
- W.5.8.d Use prepositional phrases.
- W.5.8.e Use quotation marks with dialogue.
- W.5.8.f Use commas to indicate interrupters, items in a series, and to indicate direct address.
- W.5.8.g Use a hyphen to divide words at the end of a line.
- W.5.8.h Edit for fragments and run-on sentences.
- W.5.8.i Eliminate double negatives.
- W.5.8.j Use correct spelling of commonly used words.
- W.5.8.k Use coordinating conjunctions.