Looking for free content that’s aligned to your standards? You’ve come to the right place!
Get Free 8th Grade ELA Content
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with thousands of free videos, articles, and practice questions for just about every standard.
No ads, no subscriptions – just 100% free, forever.
- R.8.4 The student will apply knowledge of word origins, and figurative language to extend vocabulary development within authentic texts.
- R.8.4.a Identify and analyze the construction and impact of an author’s use of figurative language.
- R.8.4.b Use context, structure, and connotations to determine meaning and differentiate among multiple meanings of words and phrases.
- R.8.4.c Use roots, affixes, synonyms, and antonyms to determine the meaning(s) of unfamiliar words and technical vocabulary.
- R.8.4.d Identify the meaning of common idioms.
- R.8.4.e Use word-reference materials to determine meanings and etymology.
- R.8.4.f Discriminate between connotative and denotative meanings and interpret the connotation.
- R.8.4.g Extend general and cross-curricular vocabulary through speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
- R.8.5 The student will read and analyze a variety of fictional texts, literary nonfiction, poetry, and drama.
- R.8.5.a Analyze how authors’ development of characters, conflict, point of view, voice, and tone convey meaning.
- R.8.5.b Identify cause and effect relationships and their impact on plot.
- R.8.5.c Explain the development of the theme(s).
- R.8.5.d Explain the use of symbols and figurative language.
- R.8.5.e Make inferences and draw conclusions based on explicit and implied information using references to the text for support.
- R.8.5.f Identify and analyze characteristics within a variety of genres.
- R.8.5.g Compare/contrast details in literary and informational nonfiction texts.
- R.8.5.h Compare and contrast the authors’ use of word choice, dialogue, form, rhyme, rhythm, and voice in different texts.
- R.8.5.i Compare and contrast authors’ styles.
- R.8.5.j Use reading strategies to monitor comprehension throughout the reading process.
- R.8.6 The student will read, comprehend, and analyze a variety of nonfiction texts.
- R.8.6.a Identify an author’s organizational pattern using textual clues, such as transitional words and phrases.
- R.8.6.b Apply knowledge of text features and organizational patterns to analyze selections.
- R.8.6.c Skim materials to develop an overview or locate information.
- R.8.6.d Make inferences and draw conclusions based on explicit and implied information using evidence from text as support.
- R.8.6.e Analyze the author’s qualifications, viewpoint, word choice, and impact.
- R.8.6.f Analyze details for relevance and accuracy.
- R.8.6.g Differentiate between fact and opinion.
- R.8.6.h Identify the main idea.
- R.8.6.i Summarize the text identifying supporting details.
- R.8.6.j Identify cause and effect relationships.
- R.8.6.k Evaluate, organize, and synthesize information for use in written and other formats.
- R.8.6.l Analyze ideas within and between selections providing textual evidence.
- R.8.6.m Use reading strategies to monitor comprehension throughout the reading process.